Friday, April 12, 2013

What's for Dinner Tonight? Beef & Broccoli

I had Beef and Broccoli on the menu for this week, but I couldn't find the recipe I'd originally looked up when it came time to cook it.  So I decided to just throw some stuff together and hope for the best.  I wasn't super impressed with the last recipe for Beef and Broccoli I'd tried, so I figured I couldn't do much worse.  I am not one to toot my own horn, but *toot toot*!  This was sooo good.  I didn't measure anything, so these are all approximate measurements.

Ingredients (in parentheses are the "normal" foods you can sub):
1 lb. flank steak or thin sirloin
1 c. beef broth
1/4 c. coconut aminos (soy sauce)
2 Tbsp. garlic
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. dried onion flakes
2 Tbsp. arrowroot powder (cornstarch)

Directions:
1.  Combine beef broth through onion and whisk together.
2.  Slice steak into 1/4" strips and let marinate in sauce mixture for at least 10 min. or up to an hour.
3.  Heat a skillet over med-high heat and drizzle with oil (I used olive oil).
4.  Cook steak in skillet until browned on both sides and cook through to desired doneness (reserve marinade)
5.  In a small saucepan, combine 2 Tbsp. of the reserved marinade sauce and the arrowroot powder.  Mix and cook until bubbly.
6.  Add the rest of the marinade and cook until desired thickness. (I'll admit that I got distracted and let mine thicken a little too much.  If this happens, just add a little extra beef broth)
7.  Toss the cooked steak and some steamed broccoli in the sauce and serve over steamed white (or brown) rice.

Next time I plan to double this recipe.  There was just not quite enough meat for the kids to have more than a couple pieces each.  I hadn't anticipated them asking for more!
 My kids are, well kids, and they tend to like their meals deconstructed.  So I served theirs like this...


No comments:

Post a Comment