Monday, April 8, 2013

What's for Dinner Tonight? BBQ BAKED POTATOES


I am a homeschooling mom of 4.  I live for EASY meals.  And tonight's dinner is about as easy as it can get.

BBQ BAKED POTATOES

Ingredients:
1 pork butt
1 bottle BBQ sauce (I used Trader Joe's Kansas City BBQ sauce)
Potatoes
olive oil
sea salt

Directions:
Throw that pork butt in the crock pot and pour that bottle off BBQ sauce over top.  I've found a few different bottled BBQ sauces that we can use, but you can obviously make your own as well.  Here is a great allergy-free BBQ sauce recipe.  I cook mine on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours (today I cooked it on high for about 4 hours).  When it's done, shred it with 2 forks and mix it in with the extra sauce and let it warm until ready to eat.

I bake my potatoes by smothering them in olive oil and sea salt, poking holes in them with a fork, and baking them at 350* for one hour.

What you add to your potato will depend on your own allergies/tastes.  Rapunzel eats hers with just the pork and a little Greek Coconut Plain Yogurt (it's a good sub for sour cream).  The rest of us might put some butter, sour cream, shredded cheese and/or chives on ours.  But they're good with just the meat and potatoes too!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry for this stupid question coming from a vegetarian, but is "pork butt" really a cut of meat? That's so crazy to me. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Nicole, yes it actually is! It's from the shoulder area of the pig. http://localfoods.about.com/od/porkrecipes/qt/What-Is-Pork-Butt.htm

    ReplyDelete