Sunday, May 12, 2013

Wedding Weekend

Eric's sister got married this weekend, so we made a quick trip to Houston for the festivities.  It doesn't matter if we'll be gone for 1 night or 100, I have to fill the van with all our needed meds, creams, ointments, and such.  I almost didn't even pack the nebulizer this trip, because no one has needed it in weeks.  Turns out, it was a good thing I did.

Side note -  We stopped Rapunzel's dairy-free diet a few days short of 2 months, because we hadn't noticed any difference, and I knew it would make traveling this weekend easier if she could have dairy.  She still loves her chocolate coconut milk in the mornings, so she'll continue to drink that.  And she still likes the vanilla oat milk for cereal, so she'll continue to use that as well.  But I'll go back to using regular milk when cooking, and using butter and cheese.

We left San Antonio around 10:30am Friday morning.  We made our obligatory stop at Buc-ee's, where the kids got to enjoy Dippin' Dots!  There are a few flavors that Rapunzel can have, and they all thoroughly enjoyed it.

We made it to Houston and stopped at Chick-Fil-A for a late lunch.  The kids got to run off some energy in the play area.  Then it was time to check into our hotel.  I don't know what it is about kids and hotels, but they sure think it's so cool.  Of course, they were convinced we'd stayed in this hotel before (we hadn't) because it looked the same as the last one we stayed in.  I tried to explain to them that most hotels look the same.

We took our time getting everyone dressed and ready for the wedding that evening.


 I didn't get a picture of Aurora, but you can be assured she looked adorable as well!

The wedding itself was gorgeous.  My sister-in-law looked beautiful.  It was great seeing everyone and visiting.  I am so so happy for them!!!


(This is the bride and groom with all of the bride's siblings.  It's hard for me to believe how grown up everyone is now.  When Eric and I got married, almost 12 years ago, they were all just kids!)

By the time we left the wedding and got back to the hotel, it was late and the kids were so tired.  I got Rapunzel into the bath while Eric got the rest of the kids into bed.  Her poor skin looked wretched after our long day, and she was more itchy than usual.  So I creamed her up good and covered and wrapped her.  She was coughing a lot and starting to wheeze, so I ended up giving her a breathing treatment before she went to sleep.  Good thing we brought the nebulizer after all!  We brought our own sheets and blankets to put on the bed for her, and got her all tucked in.  But she was still up most of the night, scratching and coughing.

Saturday morning everyone woke up and Eric took Belle, Hercules, and Aurora downstairs to get some complimentary breakfast.  I had packed a special breakfast for Rapunzel of cinnamon rolls, blueberry muffins, and chocolate coconut milk.  She was so excited and loved it.  Belle brought me back a plate of food that she picked out especially for me, along with a cup of coffee.  Love that girl!

After Rapunzel ate, I got her back into the bath and her skin was looking a little better.  Her arms were still pretty bad, so we had to wrap those up.  After everyone got dressed, we packed up and checked out of the hotel.  Then we picked up some Rapunzel-safe pizza and headed to my mother-in-law's for lunch.  Some of Eric's siblings and their families came over too, so we got to visit some more.  I miss not living close enough to get to see everyone all the time, but I enjoy spending time with them when I get to!

Aurora especially had fun with her cousins.  She cracks me up because she'll go from saying "My cousin hit me, she's so mean to me," to "I love my cousin, she's so nice to me," in about 2 minutes.  True family right there!


We spent a few hours there and then we met up with my grandparents at the Kemah Boardwalk.  They took Hercules on the train, while I took the big girls on a couple of rides.  Aurora was asleep on Daddy's shoulder for awhile.  Then we walked the boarwalk and the kids got to feed the fish (and the crazy seagulls).  They wanted to take their pics by this shark, and Rapunzel told me she was going to pick his nose.


And she totally did. Ha!

When we left there, we met up with my mom too at Tookie's for some burgers.  I brought our own bread and had them use it to make a grilled cheese for Rapunzel.  She was so excited to eat a grilled cheese again!  The kids had fun hanging out with their grandparents.


Eric wanted my mom and I to take a picture together because we were looking especially alike that day!


After dinner we headed home.  It was about 11:00 when we got there, and Rapunzel hadn't slept at all on the way home.  So I let her skip her bath and just put some cream on her and wrapped her up.  I was hoping I wouldn't regret this, but knew she needed to get into bed and get some sleep.  She hadn't felt good most of the way home, so I also decided that I would stay home from church with her this morning, so that she could sleep in and rest.  She ended up sleeping until 11am!  And her skin was not any worse off, so I think I made the right decision last night.

Aurora also ended up staying home with me because she was coughing pretty bad and having trouble breathing this morning.  So she got a breathing treatment and spent the morning laying around watching tv, getting some rest.

It was a long and busy weekend, but we had such a good time visiting with our families that we don't get to see often enough.  Now we had a recoop day of rest, and tomorrow will be spent cleaning the house, catching up on laundry, and doing school work.  Back to life as usual!

No comments:

Post a Comment