Friday, May 31, 2013

Weekly Menu

I get asked a lot to post about things that we eat.  Now that we are just avoiding Rapunzel's known allergens, and not eating gluten free or dairy free, I feel like our menu isn't much different from anyone else's.  But I figure the blog's been slow lately, so I'll maybe post once every week or two with a run-down of what we're eating that week.

For the past few months, I've been doing my grocery shopping on Wednesday nights after church.  Eric takes the kids home from church and I get to go to the grocery store(s) by myself!  It makes it a late night, but it's so much easier to do a big shopping trip (which sometimes includes more than one store) without the kids tagging along.  So our weekly menu runs from Thursday-Wednesday.

And yes, I menu plan every week.  When I don't, I end up standing in the kitchen starting blankly into the pantry, and we end up eating cereal that night.  We pretty much always eat out on Sundays after church (and pack a lunch for Rapunzel), but rarely eat out during the week.  There are times however, when we'll order a pizza, I'll get Eric to pick up something on his way home, or we'll grab some Chick-Fil-A on the way to church in the evening.  So when those times happen, I'll usually just bump the missed meal to the next week.

I plan out lunches for the kids, but I usually eat leftovers or a salad or some other quick meal.  Sometimes I'll eat the same thing as them for lunch.  Eric takes leftovers, makes a sandwich, or eats out for lunch.  I only plan for the "main dish" for the kids lunch though and I buy a variety of fruits/veggies each week to go with them.  Some things I buy are apples, bananas, grapes, pears, pineapple, watermelon, papaya, mango, kiwi, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, carrots, celery, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower...  I'll also throw in some chips, crackers, pretzels, or other snacky type foods.

Here is our menu for this week:

Thursday
lunch - turkey sandwiches
dinner - potato soup, breadsticks
Friday
lunch - egg salad sandwiches
dinner - tomato basil pasta, french bread
Saturday
lunch - pizza
dinner - corned beef hash, fried eggs
Sunday
lunch - BBQ at Eric's work Family Day
dinner - cereal/sandwich/starve
Monday
lunch - breakfast burritos
dinner -  chicken pot pie
Tuesday
lunch - grilled cheese, tomato soup
dinner - Taco Soup
Wednesday
lunch - Sunbutter Jelly Sandwich
dinner - chicken spaghetti, green beans

No comments:

Post a Comment